Followers

Pageviews

(c) Ellie Jimenez. Powered by Blogger.

Tuesday, January 22, 2013

The Last-Minute Grind.

I know it's been 9 days since I last updated, but these last few weeks have been the busiest ones yet. Between trying to get 6 speeches written out and trying to figure out how I'm supposed to show everyone my gratitude for everything they've done at the end of this (still have no idea how that can be humanly possible) things have gotten really hectic in my brain lately.

And since I only have some 12 days before I head home (泣), I thought I'd do a post for anyone who reads this that may be considering studying abroad in Japan or anywhere else, really.

1. Don't pack important clothes. My goodness I wish I'd thought about this sooner. This goes for people that go to a country with a school uniform. Seeing as you wear it most of the time, I find that I didn't need half of the clothes I ended up bringing. I suggest that before leaving your home country, you make a trip to the second-hand store and stock up on whatever you need to bring. That way you won't feel like you absolutely have to take it all back home since you spent $1 per item. That would have saved me a lot of money and grief about having to pack a box with mostly clothes. -____- Plus, you end up doing shopping in your host country and all you want to do is wear those anyway.

2. Expect to gain weight. So, I know I've mentioned it a few times, but I'll say it again. And I think this applies more to the girls studying abroad. That's just an observation, so don't hold me to it, but that's what it seems like to me. I honestly wasn't expecting it, but I looked in the mirror the other day and was just like, "WHAT DID YOU SAY?" Even though my reflection hadn't said anything... This may not even apply to you, so if you end up losing weight don't hold me to it.

3. Put your heart and soul into learning everything  you can about the culture, language, etc. This is huge. Especially if you can study the language before you leave. I would say the same about culture, but I feel like that's nearly impossible if you're not in that country. Knowing how to communicate in the language more before I came would have come in handy... like a lot. Not saying that I think it took away from my experience, but I think I would've been a lot more outgoing in the beginning. Plus, it's much more pleasant for the people in your host country if they can use their native language. As for culture, as soon as you step off of that plane and into the airport wherever you're going, think like a sponge. Become the sponge. The culture is the water. Or whatever you feel like metaphorically soaking up. Take everything in. Watch what others do, ask questions about it (this is where that language thing comes in handy) and mimic.

4. Try everything. I hate singing. In front of people, at least. It's terrifying to me and I've never been a fan. But, since I'm in Japan, I decided that I'd do karaoke (because if you come to Japan, you HAVE to) and I ended up loving it. That goes for food too. Not to say I've liked everything I've eaten. Quite the contrary (nattou >__<). However, I can go home and tell people about these foods that I'd always heard about (and the ones that were totally obscure).

5. Savor every moment. That's really corny. But I mean it. Be nice to everyone even if they're driving you up the wall and talk to everyone a lot. Your time is limited (even if you don't realize it), and you have to take advantage of every opportunity you have with your host family and friends. It's in these last few weeks that I've really realized that talking about even the little things that seem insignificant are actually super important. Build relationships. If you end up wanting to come back to the country (which you probably will, trust me) you now have connections. It's crazy to think that five months ago, Japan was a country that I had never been to let alone had anyone there that I knew. Now I have a life here. It's not a huge island that doesn't hold sentimental value anymore. I have family and friends here now.

6. Spend your money carefully. Not to sound like your parents, but I wish I'd done this too. At the beginning of October I did begin logging my spending, but I think I should have watch what i spent my money on more. I don't regret it now because I wouldn't have had quite the experience I did had I not, but for any future exchange kids, I would keep an eye on that. Don't let it get in the way of having fun, though, because that's the point of being in a different country, right? I would also say to be careful of the space and weight that what you're buying will take up. I only say this because it was a struggle trying to figure out how to pack the stuff I'd bought.

I know this is a lame list so far, so when (or if) I think of other stuff I'll add it.

For now, you can take a look at some of the food I've been eating lately. I know, exciting stuff. Try to keep your pants on.
First off, we have a lovely picture that is not rotated. I'm sorry. It's the only one like this, I promise. This is Nanakusa-Gayu. It's a rice soup with a bunch of herbs thrown in. I couldn't possibly remember all the names, but that's what they created Google for.
 Here we have a lovely specimen of stew. Japanese stew. It's more like a creamy soup to me with chicken, corn and carrots thrown in.
 Yakisoba, fried sweet potato, salmon, and rice. Need I say more?
 Fried chicken in a sauce that reminds me vaguely of American-Chinese orange chicken, pasta, potato salad, and rice. That was a good day.
 My host mom calls this omuraisu because it's a combination of an omelet and rice. I know you can barley see is, but there's rice there, with a lovely omelet on top and then some beef-stewy-like sauce on top. I know it's not very Japanese, but I loved this thing.
 The other night we had dry curry, which isn't actually that dry at all, it just lacks some of the liquid in regular curry because there's so much MEAT. I love meat, by the way...
This is kimuchi nabe. It's spicy, it's got meat, it's got cabbage, it's got tofu. And even though I haven't become a huge fan of tofu, I have to say that this gets me to eat it.

 Aaaaand here's today's dinner. My host mom is brilliant and took some of the rice from the omuraisu, rolled it into a ball, filled it with cheese, and fried it. Can someone give this lady an award? The thing was the size of a baseball, not even exaggerating. And then there's two fried potato patties and some cabbage.
 I'm mad you can't see this really. It's mochi with a sauce made of crushed edamame and some sugar added to give it sweetness. I had it a while ago but this was the first time my host grandma made it herself. Apparently it's really popular where my host mom's from (Miyagi-ken). I know it doesn't sound too appetizing, but it's one of those things I can see myself liking after eating it a few times.

So yes, there you have my majestical menu. Of course there's been other stuff, but I haven't had my camera at the time. Funnily enough, all the stuff I took pictures of is stuff that's not too Japanese. Honestly, though, where else would you find some of the delicious things my host mom cooks up?

RJILJDSKJOEIFPIJRGHUIJ
-Ellie


No comments:

Post a Comment